Non Canon One Piece RolePlay

NEWS
Hello and welcome to Strawhats Open Beta!
Make some friends, enemies, and Plot with them in the Plotting board.
Above all else, have fun and direct any questions you may have to staff!

Log in

I forgot my password



Strawhat Discord
Latest topics
» Notification Topic
Today at 5:58 pm by Nyu

» Shu Shu
Today at 5:42 pm by Melly

» Rescuing the Captives (Gran Voyage)
Today at 4:13 pm by Yuurei

» The start of the end
Today at 2:42 pm by Gold.

» Collision Between two Men (Voyage)
Today at 12:18 pm by Yuurei

» Bazil's Plotter
Yesterday at 11:13 pm by ai47

» [Event] The Worst Generation
Yesterday at 10:31 pm by ai47

» Gold Skill Locker
Yesterday at 10:09 pm by Gold.

» Curiousity, Researching, Developing.
Yesterday at 9:40 pm by Risaka

Top posting users this month
Devroux
 
Batman4560
 
Maverick
 
Yuurei
 
Deep Bloo
 
Melly
 
Noctis
 
Risaka
 
Kaito
 
Excalibur
 

Statistics
We have 168 registered users
The newest registered user is Vane

Our users have posted a total of 7521 messages in 1290 subjects

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Devroux

Vagabond
Vagabond

avatar
I've only been on the site for a short time and I've spent most of that time reading the rules and jumping from registration thread to registration thread. I'm getting ready to start posting right now, but there are a decent amount of glaring oversights that keep coming up that just give the shaft to certain people that want to do certain things, and most of that comes into play with the limitations forced on people through skill sets. Skill sets are a great thing to have and they should be required, but the rules surrounding them have absolutely zero logic tied to them that mostly make the entire system oppressive rather than enjoyable. That's just counter-intuitive to what a role play is meant to do.

First of all, themes are probably the easiest noticeable limitation for the playerbase. Themes are not modes, and modes are not part of the system yet. That doesn't make sense, and automatically limits people from something as glaringly obvious as the Gomu Gomu no Mi. No one is going to pick up a fruit when they can't use 90% of what makes it good and interesting. This is especially true when a theme already gives a bonus to or primarily uses a certain stat, so a mode would be the same sort of impact, generally. That logic doesn't work, however, when a theme is in control of every skill in the skill set, unless someone has paid for the extra theme. There's no way out of getting a detrimental effect on your skills unless you opt out of a theme as a whole, which doesn't make sense. 'No advantage, no disadvantage' should be the base option, even if you have a theme, and then use of the theme comes secondary - even if pre-stated in the skill itself.

Currently, my skill set grants extra strength while taking away my perception, but I wasn't aware that that was a permanent debuff to the character. If I want to use skills, I have worse than non-prioritized perception and that's pretty detrimental when most of the active players are already tertiary speed. Why would I choose to handicap myself that hard when I'm already intending on playing a brawler that gets hurt? To me, it makes more sense to use a theme on certain skills to make them advantageous for certain occasions and disadvantageous for others, but that also just seems like what a skill would already be. I wouldn't go running headfirst into a steel door, so why would I use a headbutt against a steel door with an endurance debuff on it too?

Second, so far, aside from devil fruits with modes, the most cucked thing in the entire RP is electro. It's somehow "channeling energy," but unlike haki, is required to have its own skill set to be usable. Logically, if you can't use something that's innately in every single mink from birth without a skill, it should at the very least be usable in every situation that haki would be. Channeling it through a weapon is easy enough is one thing, but it's absolutely embarrassing that a mink (who doesn't get any real advantage for being a mink, unlike giants, dwarves, and even long-leg/arm tribesmen) can't use a basic static zap that they have innately for just being a mink. Is it not assumable that if you grow up with an ability, you'd know how to adapt it?

What this really means is that the two skill set maximum for every person is more of a disadvantage for minks than an advantage. Being a mink would be an aesthetic choice rather than a practical one. In order to use the only thing that differentiates a mink from the other races, you'd have to have access to at least three different skill sets. One for the occupation, one for the devil fruit, and one for an innate talent (electro). This is a blatant bias towards haki, which can worm its way into all types of skill sets as long as it's unlocked.

This isn't touching on any of the other system problems that there are, like post interruption, which is terrible for any combat role play, but it's stuff that really needs to be looked at again. There should be a balance between restriction and freedom, but this stuff is flat out oppressive.

View user profile

2 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Melly

Shicibukai
Shicibukai

avatar
@Devroux wrote:I've only been on the site for a short time and I've spent most of that time reading the rules and jumping from registration thread to registration thread. I'm getting ready to start posting right now, but there are a decent amount of glaring oversights that keep coming up that just give the shaft to certain people that want to do certain things, and most of that comes into play with the limitations forced on people through skill sets. Skill sets are a great thing to have and they should be required, but the rules surrounding them have absolutely zero logic tied to them that mostly make the entire system oppressive rather than enjoyable. That's just counter-intuitive to what a role play is meant to do.

First of all, themes are probably the easiest noticeable limitation for the playerbase. Themes are not modes, and modes are not part of the system yet. That doesn't make sense, and automatically limits people from something as glaringly obvious as the Gomu Gomu no Mi. No one is going to pick up a fruit when they can't use 90% of what makes it good and interesting. This is especially true when a theme already gives a bonus to or primarily uses a certain stat, so a mode would be the same sort of impact, generally. That logic doesn't work, however, when a theme is in control of every skill in the skill set, unless someone has paid for the extra theme. There's no way out of getting a detrimental effect on your skills unless you opt out of a theme as a whole, which doesn't make sense. 'No advantage, no disadvantage' should be the base option, even if you have a theme, and then use of the theme comes secondary - even if pre-stated in the skill itself.

Themes are optional, you don't need to have a theme if you think they are limiting. A theme literally means you have superiority depending on the aspect, if your black leg style is themeless and your fighting someone whose blackleg theme focus's on strength in exchange for the mobility/acrobatic nature of Sanjis black leg then when clashing with other black leg users your's will always come out superior [of course dependant on stats also]. The fact is a themeless is a "no advantage, no disadvantage" as you put it and is the default. If you then want a theme to increase certain aspects while creating a disadvantage in others then its your prerogative.

As for modes, there is currently no system on the BETA version of this site, thats true, that doesn't mean you can't create modes via the skill template itself. You could use gear 2 by turning it in to a skill and then creating sub skills for it if you wished, though currently I believe their is no buff/debuff system for skills, perhaps thats something staff are currently working on but aren't willing/able to place it out just yet? its still a new site after all.


Currently, my skill set grants extra strength while taking away my perception, but I wasn't aware that that was a permanent debuff to the character. If I want to use skills, I have worse than non-prioritized perception and that's pretty detrimental when most of the active players are already tertiary speed. Why would I choose to handicap myself that hard when I'm already intending on playing a brawler that gets hurt? To me, it makes more sense to use a theme on certain skills to make them advantageous for certain occasions and disadvantageous for others, but that also just seems like what a skill would already be. I wouldn't go running headfirst into a steel door, so why would I use a headbutt against a steel door with an endurance debuff on it too?

Second, so far, aside from devil fruits with modes, the most cucked thing in the entire RP is electro. It's somehow "channeling energy," but unlike haki, is required to have its own skill set to be usable. Logically, if you can't use something that's innately in every single mink from birth without a skill, it should at the very least be usable in every situation that haki would be. Channeling it through a weapon is easy enough is one thing, but it's absolutely embarrassing that a mink (who doesn't get any real advantage for being a mink, unlike giants, dwarves, and even long-leg/arm tribesmen) can't use a basic static zap that they have innately for just being a mink. Is it not assumable that if you grow up with an ability, you'd know how to adapt it?

What this really means is that the two skill set maximum for every person is more of a disadvantage for minks than an advantage. Being a mink would be an aesthetic choice rather than a practical one. In order to use the only thing that differentiates a mink from the other races, you'd have to have access to at least three different skill sets. One for the occupation, one for the devil fruit, and one for an innate talent (electro). This is a blatant bias towards haki, which can worm its way into all types of skill sets as long as it's unlocked.

This isn't touching on any of the other system problems that there are, like post interruption, which is terrible for any combat role play, but it's stuff that really needs to be looked at again. There should be a balance between restriction and freedom, but this stuff is flat out oppressive.

Post interruptions are an integral part of rp, no ones just gonna stand around and let you complete your attacks,
of course they are gonna interrupt...thats like...common sense....and common in almost all rps....

As for electro, just because your born with something doesnt innately mean your sufficent to use it. You can create random sparks without a skill set, they just dont have any effect in combat.
I don't have a skill that lets me create a giant middle finger for aesthetic, but I still did it in a thread, I don't have a skill that makes chairs but I can still do it aesthetically. Skils are then the proficency of how you can use them, all fishman are able to use fishman karate and fishman juijutus that doesn't mean they should be able to freely do so without skill sets, Minks also gain theur animals efficency and weaponry so I wouldnt say its not a bonus.

This honestly doesn't seem to be a system issue but a, "i wanna do more but systems limit this so obz issue" Cyborgs are limited to their items they can have and use, the amount they use but its that way for a reason, things are limited to keep balance, its pretty simple and we have some pretty adept minks on the site who seem to be functioning exceptionally well.

and of course themes are a constant debuff for a constant increase, which is literally defined in the rules which state themes are all or none.

pretty detrimental when most of the active players are already tertiary speed


This pretty much comes off as you saying that the rules halt you because others have put in the work to increase their stats. I mean if your active enough with posting voyages and GV's you can catch up easily enough and bypass them, I get a bit of what your saying but in honestly the systems work perfectly well and the flurry of active players who are easily using these systems even while being the race you stated seem to be doing great IC.

View user profile

3 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Gold.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

avatar
I ain't a mod or anything but I waaaannnnaaa comment on this. So I will.


@Devroux wrote:I've only been on the site for a short time and I've spent most of that time reading the rules and jumping from registration thread to registration thread. I'm getting ready to start posting right now, but there are a decent amount of glaring oversights that keep coming up that just give the shaft to certain people that want to do certain things, and most of that comes into play with the limitations forced on people through skill sets. Skill sets are a great thing to have and they should be required, but the rules surrounding them have absolutely zero logic tied to them that mostly make the entire system oppressive rather than enjoyable. That's just counter-intuitive to what a role play is meant to do.

Honestly, I really disagree with you. You seem to have just wanted a certain thing and weren't able to get it.


First of all, themes are probably the easiest noticeable limitation for the playerbase. Themes are not modes, and modes are not part of the system yet. That doesn't make sense, and automatically limits people from something as glaringly obvious as the Gomu Gomu no Mi. No one is going to pick up a fruit when they can't use 90% of what makes it good and interesting.This is especially true when a theme already gives a bonus to or primarily uses a certain stat, so a mode would be the same sort of impact, generally. That logic doesn't work, however, when a theme is in control of every skill in the skill set, unless someone has paid for the extra theme. There's no way out of getting a detrimental effect on your skills unless you opt out of a theme as a whole, which doesn't make sense. 'No advantage, no disadvantage' should be the base option, even if you have a theme, and then use of the theme comes secondary - even if pre-stated in the skill itself.

Your problem is you seem to just be stat chasing shorty. In so many words all you really were saying is that themes are bad because modes(which I assume are like gears?) aren't part of them. And that limits people when it really doesn't. You just don't know what a theme is even though it tells you. If we do take the Gomu we can say luffy doesn't have a theme, as he doesn't have a particularly focus. I actully checked approved themes and found a few that actually have a focus instead of being attribute buffs.

Theme: The Bloo Blitz theme is focused on the offensive aspect of Rokushiki. It's about eliminating opposition before they have a chance to find their rhythm. Even when Tekkai is performed it doesn't offer any defensive advantages, it just works to increase the density of the effected area to cause more damage.

Simply he gave up Rokushiki's defensive to get some more potent offensive capabilities

Theme Name: F extension Theme: The focus of F Extension theme is on creation of stronger and colder ice that not only effects the target(s) but also the environment. Power impacts this skillset and theme heavily. As the stronger the user is, in the Power category, the more potent their freezing abilities become. Below is the level of which skill can be at the level of the skillset and the User's current power. Mainly talking the adverse effects the ice does. Skills that use this theme will have more information within them. wrote:

His theme requires him to have to focus on a certain attribute that contributes to the power of his ice/cold. He probably wouldn't be able to freeze people like he does to the extent in the earlier stages if he opt'd out of using a theme. Just my thoughts on that.


Theme: Azaziel emits electricity through his superhuman slashes allowing him to deal more damage than any normal swordsman. At its apex, it is expected that he begins to paralyze his opponents stopping them in their tracks simply by slashing at them (for a turn). This augmentation can only be fulfilled by having a Meito that can allow the user to do such.

He went with more potent slashed. Theme relies on a sword and without he wouldn't be able to do shit. Also he'd need a certain Meito grade to get the full benefit from this.


If someone can't get the full capabilities out of their fruit it isn't because they need a theme. It is because their imagination is lacking when it comes to that fruit. Or if to their skillset that doesn't involve a fruit.





Currently, my skill set grants extra strength while taking away my perception, but I wasn't aware that that was a permanent debuff to the character. If I want to use skills, I have worse than non-prioritized perception and that's pretty detrimental when most of the active players are already tertiary speed. Why would I choose to handicap myself that hard when I'm already intending on playing a brawler that gets hurt? To me, it makes more sense to use a theme on certain skills to make them advantageous for certain occasions and disadvantageous for others, but that also just seems like what a skill would already be. I wouldn't go running headfirst into a steel door, so why would I use a headbutt against a steel door with an endurance debuff on it too?

You weren't aware because you didn't read what themes were. It tells you that they are all or nothing. You are trying to push the blame of your mistaken on the entire theme system.


Second, so far, aside from devil fruits with modes, the most cucked thing in the entire RP is electro. It's somehow "channeling energy," but unlike haki, is required to have its own skill set to be usable. Logically, if you can't use something that's innately in every single mink from birth without a skill, it should at the very least be usable in every situation that haki would be. Channeling it through a weapon is easy enough is one thing, but it's absolutely embarrassing that a mink (who doesn't get any real advantage for being a mink, unlike giants, dwarves, and even long-leg/arm tribesmen) can't use a basic static zap that they have innately for just being a mink. Is it not assumable that if you grow up with an ability, you'd know how to adapt it?

If you weren't a mink you wouldn't complain about them not having a doriki boast. Humans don't get a boast and you ain't complaining for us!!! Fishfolk/Fishmen & Merfolk get one but have to be submerge, which hinders them honeslty. Since no one with common sense would fight a fishmen underwater. Well, unless the Fishmen just waits to attack people while they travel or are on a ship and somehow get them in the water. Minks have electro and also many more benefits depending on the species you go with, and are just a shitty version of a zoan. Those benefits from their species probably could be placed in the skillset. And they probably gave those other races the boasts because they make sense or to get people to actually app to be that race.

And what is the purpose of the zap? I mean if I slash at someone with my sword I'd be able to kill them, maybe, but it'd be more potent if that slash was done with a skill. I doubt they'd say anything about you using a zap in a friendly or comedic way when you RP. But in a offensive manner it'd probably equate to like a a shock I could do irl.


What this really means is that the two skill set maximum for every person is more of a disadvantage for minks than an advantage. Being a mink would be an aesthetic choice rather than a practical one. In order to use the only thing that differentiates a mink from the other races, you'd have to have access to at least three different skill sets. One for the occupation, one for the devil fruit, and one for an innate talent (electro). This is a blatant bias towards haki, which can worm its way into all types of skill sets as long as it's unlocked.

You really don't need three skill-sets, would be cool though. But listen, well read, what you are saying. You act like it is impossible to just combined to aspects together. Devil fruit + Electro could just be one skillset, not like there is a limit on skills.


This isn't touching on any of the other system problems that there are, like post interruption, which is terrible for any combat role play, but it's stuff that really needs to be looked at again. There should be a balance between restriction and freedom, but this stuff is flat out oppressive.

If you think post interruption is terrible for combat roleplay you don't know what combat roleplay is. You are more of the type that focuses on story and has scripted fights, which is cool. But there isn't a true danger at all present.



View user profile

4 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Green wrote:Your problem is you seem to just be stat chasing shorty. In so many words all you really were saying is that themes are bad because modes(which I assume are like gears?) aren't part of them. And that limits people when it really doesn't. You just don't know what a theme is even though it tells you. If we do take the Gomu we can say luffy doesn't have a theme, as he doesn't have a particularly focus. I actully checked approved themes and found a few that actually have a focus instead of being attribute buffs.

Perhaps you should think before you respond, half of this is a garbled mess. The bolded is the only sentence which makes sense, which is what I'll be responding to. What is funny is you can actually set up a skill to have a particular focus, and not have to limit every skill in your fighting repertoire to that same detriment. Themes are literally a straight jacket which stop you from doing certain things because they limit what everything your skillset can do.

Green. wrote:Simply he gave up Rokushiki's defensive to get some more potent offensive capabilities
Bloo's theme makes no sense. It's giving up tekkai without a plausible reason for why doing so would give his attacks extra aoe. He literally just took one aspect off his skillset like it was a check list, instead of making something that makes sense.

Green. wrote:You weren't aware because you didn't read what themes were. It tells you that they are all or nothing. You are trying to push the blame of your mistaken on the entire theme system.
Probably the only real point you have, is the system needed to be read closer.

Green. wrote:If you weren't a mink you wouldn't complain about them not having a doriki boast. Humans don't get a boast and you ain't complaining for us!!! Fishfolk/Fishmen & Merfolk get one but have to be submerge, which hinders them honeslty. Since no one with common sense would fight a fishmen underwater. Well, unless the Fishmen just waits to attack people while they travel or are on a ship and somehow get them in the water. Minks have electro and also many more benefits depending on the species you go with, and are just a shitty version of a zoan. Those benefits from their species probably could be placed in the skillset. And they probably gave those other races the boasts because they make sense or to get people to actually app to be that race.

And what is the purpose of the zap? I mean if I slash at someone with my sword I'd be able to kill them, maybe, but it'd be more potent if that slash was done with a skill. I doubt they'd say anything about you using a zap in a friendly or comedic way when you RP. But in a offensive manner it'd probably equate to like a a shock I could do irl.
Please say boost. It's not a boast. And there are no actual boosts you can get from a skillset as that would be considered a buff, which aren't currently allowed. So when you make a turtle mink skill set, you can't actually Boost your defense like a Turtle zoan would be able to.

Green. wrote:You really don't need three skill-sets, would be cool though. But listen, well read, what you are saying. You act like it is impossible to just combined to aspects together. Devil fruit + Electro could just be one skillset, not like there is a limit on skills.
Kaito and Jan don't want Electro being mixed in with skill sets. If you make a skill set using hashoken and electro or maybe just like someone else on the forum who tried combining electro with his skill set, the admins would say no. Because it needs to be its own set.

Green. wrote:If you think post interruption is terrible for combat roleplay you don't know what combat roleplay is.
Time manipulation

@Melly wrote:Themes are optional, you don't need to have a theme if you think they are limiting. A theme literally means you have superiority depending on the aspect, if your black leg style is themeless and your fighting someone whose blackleg theme focus's on strength in exchange for the mobility/acrobatic nature of Sanjis black leg then when clashing with other black leg users your's will always come out superior [of course dependant on stats also]. The fact is a themeless is a "no advantage, no disadvantage" as you put it and is the default. If you then want a theme to increase certain aspects while creating a disadvantage in others then its your prerogative.
You could achieve the same thing without making a theme that literally takes away all of your acrobatic ability by making a skill in which a particular black leg skill hits harder due to the stance the user takes to perform it. This is because one would obviously have more leverage and grounding to shift their energy while standing still vs leaping all over the place. In this case you can make a skill that literally gives you a boost of sort(if we had buffs) without making every skill in the skill set be dictated by this. lol

I just thought that I'd respond to this since being optional isn't an excuse for being illogical. Especially in a roleplay that demands logic to function.

@Melly wrote:As for electro, just because your born with something doesnt innately mean your sufficent to use it. You can create random sparks without a skill set, they just dont have any effect in combat.
I'll reiterate it here, but the reason for the complaint is because you can't mix electro in with your fighting style as a mink.

@Kaito wrote:Now my overall pet peeve after this was brought to my attention is usage of your theme. Now, problem lies in the ability to use both Charms and Electro. Those would be too separate skillsets on a whole. Electro is simply for application purposes of electrical charges, reference my skillset and Enchantation (Charms, Curses or Hexes) whatever you want to call them would be another.

Which brings us to this Cross Roads of ours. Now any skills strictly dealing with these charms, hexes etc. can be used in one skillset. Electro would be a separate thing. It'd be your choice to decide what you use.

View user profile

5 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Noctis

Vagabond
Vagabond

avatar
Me and Devroux have been participating in combat roleplays for almost a decade now so calm down there with the accusations.

Firstly, I was told by @Kaito that I was unable to have Electro plus my Occupation in a skillset and that Electro had to be in it's own skillset. So, two skillsets max for me means I would be unable to acquire a devil fruit and have a skillset with it if I had both my Electro skillset as well as my Occupation skillset.

Secondly, post interruption is not in anyway integral to combat roleplay, depending on how you choose to define, "interruption". If you're suggesting that it's integral to time manipulate every time someone chooses to make an attack, you're crazy. Fights would never progress and there would be no method of victory.

Example: Person A makes attack X.

Person B post interrupts attack X, so attack X never happens, and places Person A in a disadvantageous position against their will. Person B then makes attack Y.

Person A, now in a disadvantageous position they had no part in making or choosing now must either:

Defend against attack Y in a disadvantagous position that they had no part in, and likely fail.

OR

Post interrupt Person B's attack Y so attack Y never happens.

In addition, this also completely prevents making any action of any kind after making an attack, as post interrupting will completely negate every action after the attack.

Essentially, post interruption is just a different name for time manipulation, and acts as a crutch.

You may be asking yourself, "So what, are we just supposed to let them make a move? Isn't that just shifting the inaction onto the defender rather than the attacker?"

To which I say, yes.

Not only does this prevent others from voiding entire sections of a post every time you choose to post interrupt, it also allows for the meaningful progression of time.

But wait, there's more! When making your counter post, you don't even have to choose to do nothing. As long as whatever you do doesn't directly stop or interfere with the opponent's action, you can do it. Crazy.

The flow of logic collapses further when you realize that you're post interrupting for attacks only. Why can't you post interrupt someone taking a step forward? You're not just gonna stand there and let them move. That'd be dumb, no one would be stupid enough to let their opponent just move freely.

That's why you don't post interrupt.


_________________

Guest will never see me coming...
View user profile

6 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Gold.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

avatar
I'M ON DAT ASS NOW!!!


@dingdongditcher wrote:
Green wrote:Your problem is you seem to just be stat chasing shorty. In so many words all you really were saying is that themes are bad because modes(which I assume are like gears?) aren't part of them. And that limits people when it really doesn't. You just don't know what a theme is even though it tells you. If we do take the Gomu we can say luffy doesn't have a theme, as he doesn't have a particularly focus. I actully checked approved themes and found a few that actually have a focus instead of being attribute buffs.

Perhaps you should think before you respond, half of this is a garbled mess. The bolded is the only sentence which makes sense, which is what I'll be responding to. What is funny is you can actually set up a skill to have a particular focus, and not have to limit every skill in your fighting repertoire to that same detriment. Themes are literally a straight jacket which stop you from doing certain things because they limit what everything your skillset can do.

If they are a straight jacket don't get it. A few people us them but don' complain about them. Only people that have are the ones that didn't know how it worked originally.

Green. wrote:Simply he gave up Rokushiki's defensive to get some more potent offensive capabilities
Bloo's theme makes no sense. It's giving up tekkai without a plausible reason for why doing so would give his attacks extra aoe. He literally just took one aspect off his skillset like it was a check list, instead of making something that makes sense.

So I assume you agree with my other two examples of themes I posted. I won't argue about if his theme makes sense or not since it ain't mine.

Green. wrote:You weren't aware because you didn't read what themes were. It tells you that they are all or nothing. You are trying to push the blame of your mistaken on the entire theme system.
Probably the only real point you have, is the system needed to be read closer.

Green. wrote:If you weren't a mink you wouldn't complain about them not having a doriki boast. Humans don't get a boast and you ain't complaining for us!!! Fishfolk/Fishmen & Merfolk get one but have to be submerge, which hinders them honeslty. Since no one with common sense would fight a fishmen underwater. Well, unless the Fishmen just waits to attack people while they travel or are on a ship and somehow get them in the water. Minks have electro and also many more benefits depending on the species you go with, and are just a shitty version of a zoan. Those benefits from their species probably could be placed in the skillset. And they probably gave those other races the boasts because they make sense or to get people to actually app to be that race.

And what is the purpose of the zap? I mean if I slash at someone with my sword I'd be able to kill them, maybe, but it'd be more potent if that slash was done with a skill. I doubt they'd say anything about you using a zap in a friendly or comedic way when you RP. But in a offensive manner it'd probably equate to like a a shock I could do irl.
Please say boost. It's not a boast. And there are no actual boosts you can get from a skillset as that would be considered a buff, which aren't currently allowed. So when you make a turtle mink skill set, you can't actually Boost your defense like a Turtle zoan would be able to.


I was going to HIGHKEY troll you since you wantedt o pick at my spelling errors. You know what I mean't and you pointing that out is you trying to send a dig at me, but that is coo. Just don't cry when I kill your character. JK JK don't cry. We aren't on the same island.

First, there are no such things as turtle minks. Since a turtle is a reptile and Minks can only be Mammals I think. What I was saying since I don't really have any points. Is that complaining about not getting +5 doriki for a mink doesn't make sense.



Green. wrote:You really don't need three skill-sets, would be cool though. But listen, well read, what you are saying. You act like it is impossible to just combined to aspects together. Devil fruit + Electro could just be one skillset, not like there is a limit on skills.
Kaito and Jan don't want Electro being mixed in with skill sets. If you make a skill set using hashoken and electro or maybe just like someone else on the forum who tried combining electro with his skill set, the admins would say no. Because it needs to be its own set.



@Melly wrote:Themes are optional, you don't need to have a theme if you think they are limiting. A theme literally means you have superiority depending on the aspect, if your black leg style is themeless and your fighting someone whose blackleg theme focus's on strength in exchange for the mobility/acrobatic nature of Sanjis black leg then when clashing with other black leg users your's will always come out superior [of course dependant on stats also]. The fact is a themeless is a "no advantage, no disadvantage" as you put it and is the default. If you then want a theme to increase certain aspects while creating a disadvantage in others then its your prerogative.
You could achieve the same thing without making a theme that literally takes away all of your acrobatic ability by making a skill in which a particular black leg skill hits harder due to the stance the user takes to perform it. This is because one would obviously have more leverage and grounding to shift their energy while standing still vs leaping all over the place. In this case you can make a skill that literally gives you a boost of sort(if we had buffs) without making every skill in the skill set be dictated by this. lol

I just thought that I'd respond to this since being optional isn't an excuse for being illogical. Especially in a roleplay that demands logic to function.

@Melly wrote:As for electro, just because your born with something doesnt innately mean your sufficent to use it. You can create random sparks without a skill set, they just dont have any effect in combat.
I'll reiterate it here, but the reason for the complaint is because you can't mix electro in with your fighting style as a mink.

@Kaito wrote:Now my overall pet peeve after this was brought to my attention is usage of your theme. Now, problem lies in the ability to use both Charms and Electro. Those would be too separate skillsets on a whole. Electro is simply for application purposes of electrical charges, reference my skillset and Enchantation (Charms, Curses or Hexes) whatever you want to call them would be another.

Which brings us to this Cross Roads of ours. Now any skills strictly dealing with these charms, hexes etc. can be used in one skillset. Electro would be a separate thing. It'd be your choice to decide what you use.

http://strawhats.forumotion.com/t247-rebirth-bound-flower-complete

I get not everything can be mixed. But the link above is all the proof I need. Maybe think about how you are going about adding Electro into your skillset then just doing it to do it.




Green. wrote:If you think post interruption is terrible for combat roleplay you don't know what combat roleplay is.
Time manipulation



YOU ALL SOUND LIKE A TRUE CAREBEARs!!!! ALL THE OFFENSE!!! JK that is too harsh. But from how you talk about post interruption I don't even think you've had it happen to you properly or even at all. So now I am confident you guys don't know combat roleplay. I've been trying to whistle for decades but doesn't mean I've gotten any good at it.

View user profile

7 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Green. wrote:So I assume you agree with my other two examples of themes I posted. I won't argue about if his theme makes sense or not since it ain't mine.
No, I used bloo as an example, in conjunction with my previous response to say how dumb they are. For the most part you're right, I took out my theme and never looked back. but it doesn't mean they make sense.

View user profile

8 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Devroux

Vagabond
Vagabond

avatar
I just want to say before I get into this that I hate the way quoting is coded. You insert your text into my post and the only thing I have to go on is the color or bolding, so I at the very least thank you for that. Makes it easier to slim it down a little and make it more direct. @.@

@Melly wrote:Themes are optional, you don't need to have a theme if you think they are limiting. A theme literally means you have superiority depending on the aspect, if your black leg style is themeless and your fighting someone whose blackleg theme focus's on strength in exchange for the mobility/acrobatic nature of Sanjis black leg then when clashing with other black leg users your's will always come out superior [of course dependant on stats also]. The fact is a themeless is a "no advantage, no disadvantage" as you put it and is the default. If you then want a theme to increase certain aspects while creating a disadvantage in others then its your prerogative.

I understand that, but then that affects the skill set in general and that's what I'm really attacking here. If you have one move that's optimal in all situations, there's no point in using any other move. But the reverse is also true; if you have a move that sub-optimal in some situations, then there's no point to use that move. And it's key when someone picks up on the theme, and just makes it so that your entire skill set is now sub-optimal and you're down a laundry list of usable moves because they want to abuse your skill set.

If no theme, theme 1, and theme 2 were all options on a skill-to-skill basis, then if a person locks onto your theme and attacks it, they only get to lock out a few specific skills rather than the entire thing. That's the important thing to take away from what themes give and take, and that's the one thing that makes them a sub-optimal implementation.

@Melly wrote:As for modes, there is currently no system on the BETA version of this site, thats true, that doesn't mean you can't create modes via the skill template itself. You could use gear 2 by turning it in to a skill and then creating sub skills for it if you wished, though currently I believe their is no buff/debuff system for skills, perhaps thats something staff are currently working on but aren't willing/able to place it out just yet? its still a new site after all.

And I understand that some things aren't going to be worked out right away, but modes are a pretty important part of One Piece and have been since Water 7. That's a long time ago, and it draws attention to some fruits that would normally go unused. I would say a 'modes' system is more important than crafting, but that's also assuming that there are enough people going after paramecia and not just mythical zoans (of which I am an example of, or would have been).

@Melly wrote:Post interruptions are an integral part of rp, no ones just gonna stand around and let you complete your attacks,
of course they are gonna interrupt...thats like...common sense....and common in almost all rps....

I disagree. Heavily. The majority of my role playing career (more than a couple years), has been in combat role plays and there's never a fair integration of post-interruptions. You can stop an attack, but at that point, why not just counter it in the next move? You don't let them finish the attack, you just counter it in real-time according to your character's perspective. Post-interruption implies that you'll be able to counter-attack, and further than that, stop a resulting attack that would have been a play off of their momentum or whatever other setup they had according to the steps in their move. There's no depth to it, and no entertainment, and really, no skill.

There's no justifiable way to implement proper post-interruptions without it feeling completely one-sided for the first to abuse it. It's much more fun and satisfying to counter and be countered in full without having to worry about what is essentially psuedo-time manipulation.

@Melly wrote:As for electro, just because your born with something doesnt innately mean your sufficent to use it. You can create random sparks without a skill set, they just dont have any effect in combat.
I don't have a skill that lets me create a giant middle finger for aesthetic, but I still did it in a thread, I don't have a skill that makes chairs but I can still do it aesthetically. Skils are then the proficency of how you can use them, all fishman are able to use fishman karate and fishman juijutus that doesn't mean they should be able to freely do so without skill sets, Minks also gain theur animals efficency and weaponry so I wouldnt say its not a bonus.

That is an insanely false statement. Fishman karate is in no way, shape, or form the same thing as electro. It's a technique, or set of techniques, passed down between fishman. It's the reason that Koala can use fishman karate, but Law hasn't learned electro from Bepo. They're two different things and cannot be used to claim an argument.

And given that fishman karate is a learned technique and not natural, they have to learn it. Electro to minks is just as natural as arms and legs. They learn to use it. Refining the use of it to make static EMPs or defensive nets like the skill set that I got passed and the one Kaito got passed is totally different from the basic zap that should be able to be used by all minks, regardless of their combat affinity with it.

@Melly wrote:This honestly doesn't seem to be a system issue but a, "i wanna do more but systems limit this so obz issue" Cyborgs are limited to their items they can have and use, the amount they use but its that way for a reason, things are limited to keep balance, its pretty simple and we have some pretty adept minks on the site who seem to be functioning exceptionally well.

This pretty much comes off as you saying that the rules halt you because others have put in the work to increase their stats. I mean if your active enough with posting voyages and GV's you can catch up easily enough and bypass them, I get a bit of what your saying but in honestly the systems work perfectly well and the flurry of active players who are easily using these systems even while being the race you stated seem to be doing great IC.

Survivor's Mentality. It's similar to Stockholm Syndrome.

If something works, that doesn't mean it's not broken. Opposite of what you normally hear, right? Basically, just because something works and is passable, does not mean that it's the optimal way to do it. Giants get +5 doriki to strength, dwarves get +5 doriki to speed and strength, etc. Ideo uses explosive punches because that makes sense. What is wrong with a basic zap from a mink trait that's innate and within every mink regardless of what genetic base they have?

@Gold. wrote:Honestly, I really disagree with you. You seem to have just wanted a certain thing and weren't able to get it.

LOL

@Gold. wrote:Your problem is you seem to just be stat chasing shorty. In so many words all you really were saying is that themes are bad because modes(which I assume are like gears?) aren't part of them. And that limits people when it really doesn't. You just don't know what a theme is even though it tells you. If we do take the Gomu we can say luffy doesn't have a theme, as he doesn't have a particularly focus. I actully checked approved themes and found a few that actually have a focus instead of being attribute buffs.

Stat chasing... Getting the best use out of a character in all thematic ways... Weird...

You actually misunderstood, then, if you think I said themes are bad because modes aren't part of them. I said modes could be part of them, but I never said they had to be, especially if the admins are working on a secondary way of doing them. You might understand that if you read the whole thing instead of jumping to white knight.

The weirdest thing is that people have themes that aren't stat buffs. If they wanted no attribute change, why not just describe the actual skill set in another manner? Doesn't really strike the heart of the problem in my post, yes?

@Gold. wrote:
Theme: The Bloo Blitz theme is focused on the offensive aspect of Rokushiki. It's about eliminating opposition before they have a chance to find their rhythm. Even when Tekkai is performed it doesn't offer any defensive advantages, it just works to increase the density of the effected area to cause more damage.

Simply he gave up Rokushiki's defensive to get some more potent offensive capabilities

More strength, less endurance. Sounds like a stat change.

@Gold. wrote:
Theme: Azaziel emits electricity through his superhuman slashes allowing him to deal more damage than any normal swordsman. At its apex, it is expected that he begins to paralyze his opponents stopping them in their tracks simply by slashing at them (for a turn). This augmentation can only be fulfilled by having a Meito that can allow the user to do such.
He went with more potent slashed. Theme relies on a sword and without he wouldn't be able to do shit. Also he'd need a certain Meito grade to get the full benefit from this.

If someone can't get the full capabilities out of their fruit it isn't because they need a theme. It is because their imagination is lacking when it comes to that fruit. Or if to their skillset that doesn't involve a fruit.

Was this a skill or a theme? If it's a theme, it doesn't abide by the rules stated, since he's not sacrificing anything, but gaining damage (AKA, strength).

@Gold. wrote:You weren't aware because you didn't read what themes were. It tells you that they are all or nothing. You are trying to push the blame of your mistaken on the entire theme system.

Or... Lemme run this by you... Or I was just using the basic, logical assumption of what a theme would be.

@Gold. wrote:If you weren't a mink you wouldn't complain about them not having a doriki boast. Humans don't get a boast and you ain't complaining for us!!! Fishfolk/Fishmen & Merfolk get one but have to be submerge, which hinders them honeslty. Since no one with common sense would fight a fishmen underwater. Well, unless the Fishmen just waits to attack people while they travel or are on a ship and somehow get them in the water. Minks have electro and also many more benefits depending on the species you go with, and are just a shitty version of a zoan. Those benefits from their species probably could be placed in the skillset. And they probably gave those other races the boasts because they make sense or to get people to actually app to be that race.

And what is the purpose of the zap? I mean if I slash at someone with my sword I'd be able to kill them, maybe, but it'd be more potent if that slash was done with a skill. I doubt they'd say anything about you using a zap in a friendly or comedic way when you RP. But in a offensive manner it'd probably equate to like a a shock I could do irl.

Oh, that's what you think? I love when you think I'm trying to speak for you, and think you can speak for me. It's super cute.

TS Luffy went literally head-to-head with Roddy and had to use Gomu Gomu no Bell, with haki, to come out even slightly ahead. Not every species has a raw advantage over humans, but even rabbit is able to jump clear out of Zou. They're not human, and shouldn't be treated as such. This is especially true when long-leg and long-arm tribesmen get boosts when they use the long body part. That's actually stupid. There's no possible way that makes sense and minks are basically human.

Electro is a static shock.

You're killing me, man. You're honestly just... Stop it.

@Gold. wrote:You really don't need three skill-sets, would be cool though. But listen, well read, what you are saying. You act like it is impossible to just combined to aspects together. Devil fruit + Electro could just be one skillset, not like there is a limit on skills.

[insert the Kaito quote dingdongditcher just gave]

@Gold. wrote:If you think post interruption is terrible for combat roleplay you don't know what combat roleplay is. You are more of the type that focuses on story and has scripted fights, which is cool. But there isn't a true danger at all present.

YOU ALL SOUND LIKE A TRUE CAREBEARs!!!! ALL THE OFFENSE!!! JK that is too harsh. But from how you talk about post interruption I don't even think you've had it happen to you properly or even at all. So now I am confident you guys don't know combat roleplay. I've been trying to whistle for decades but doesn't mean I've gotten any good at it.

Oh god, dude. You're adorable. I totally regret making it halfway through my reply to you in a serious manner.

View user profile

9 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Kaito

Pirate
Pirate

avatar
If this whole long chunk of post is because I didn't allow the combination of Charms and Electro into one skillset, then let's address the issue now. I honestly loved the idea of the charms, hexes and curses being used with the whole tribal theme of the Mink's. However, let's call a spade for a spade. Having Electro and Voodoo concurrently, while having the option of another Skillset, would just be a reckless over sight on my part.

If I'm really keeping it 100%, there are no forms of Magic or Priestess abilities in One Piece used the way outlined in Ban's Mink Skillset, however, when I read it in his app, 'I was like damn. That is a good idea.' And I let it be apprroved, despite other staff members telling me theres so much room for Power Play with Magic Based Skills.

Then, I made a mistake as a senior staffer here and let through a skillset on the weight of giving the Jr. Staffers their say on how they view skillsets. But invisibility, at Novice - Intermediate? With the only way to locate you being vaguely worded 'higher Perception.' Excuse my language but bollocks. To be honest, I think you misunderstood what a theme was, for my problem wasn't the fact that your using Electro with your manner of fighting. My problem lies in the fact you wanted to be to use a bunch of multi-purpose abilities and slap electricity on top. Where Minks have been seen to only produce slight bursts of electricity to simple electrocute and not sense peoples locations.

So again, let's call a spade for a spade. I even pmed your associate to come to a middle ground on finding a skillset that would work for both the sites rules and his current capabilities. Funny thing is, if he read my notes, by growing his Mastery, he would've been able to use it just as he registered it. Everyone is literally staring off as scrubs with simple skills, even at Intermediate it isn't suppose to be too flashy. The whole point is to work for your skills to be great.

Finally, I conclude this by saying everything isn't about stat bonuses, we'll have systems that you will be able to buffer. We have Doriki if you want to do more, your points are seemingly based on shallow understanding and overreaching at a beginners role. Even if you make Electro blossom into something more destructive with the right skillset, anything is literally possible but don't blame our systems because we didn't let blatant abuse occur. Invisibility is banned in most RPs or maybe I miss understood the skill and it was more of presence thing than a visual thing and that would again be my bad.

Combat RP has these parameters for interruption because suppose some sets up a scenario for you to be struck, are you not suppose to respond to the bits you have control over? I agree there's a thin line between post interruption and powerplay but it's simple about establishing a timeline or flow of events that both players had a hand in. Lack or descriptions can indeed be peoples downfall at times but thats what PVP is about, using the little things to your advantage. In threads with people you know or talk to OCCly, you can easily control the flow of how your story goes. But in scenarios where your soley jumping in someones story, parameters must be set and attempts will occur because the only definite actions are those that are not responded to or let occurred due to selfs own infractions.

Just my two cents in this whole thing, I'm still opened to Witch Doctor skills being used but not roused in some guise to use Electro with it. It's just selfish all around to not even be opened to listen to what we as staff have to say on an issue. Let's be real. Occupational based abilities and Race Traits can be used hand in hand but not to get you a bunch of abilities packed into one. It wasn't even to say, You had sensor skills only, or cloaking skills only but explosive skills too? In One Piece, generally the characters have one or two core things they focus on and make great. This is not Naruto. Or Bleach. Or a place to be flee marketing for a bunch of skills which could be used if not monitored to sneak users.

That's my two cents. Sorry if anything I said here comes off crude or mean but it's just me trying to find middle ground in this sea of text presented.


_________________
View user profile

10 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:14 pm

@Gold. Warning. I get you feel passionate about this for some reason; but be nice simply putting "JK" after a insult doesn't make it right in anyway. This is also a warning to anyone else that somehow ends up commenting in this topic in a negative manner to anyone.


_________________
Keep moving forward.
View user profile

11 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Kaito

Pirate
Pirate

avatar
Also, Post Interruption is not needed in RP. Not knocking anyones RP experience with combat RP but it's not needed. But. It's used here.

Edit: responses coming in as I type, I do agree that the description being used for Themes needs to be updated or completely changed since it seems to be misleading users. I'll revisit it this weekend.


_________________
View user profile

12 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Devroux

Vagabond
Vagabond

avatar
@Kaito wrote:If this whole long chunk of post is because I didn't allow the combination of Charms and Electro into one skillset, then let's address the issue now. I honestly loved the idea of the charms, hexes and curses being used with the whole tribal theme of the Mink's. However, let's call a spade for a spade. Having Electro and Voodoo concurrently, while having the option of another Skillset, would just be a reckless over sight on my part.

If I'm really keeping it 100%, there are no forms of Magic or Priestess abilities in One Piece used the way outlined in Ban's Mink Skillset, however, when I read it in his app, 'I was like damn. That is a good idea.' And I let it be apprroved, despite other staff members telling me theres so much room for Power Play with Magic Based Skills.

Then, I made a mistake as a senior staffer here and let through a skillset on the weight of giving the Jr. Staffers their say on how they view skillsets. But invisibility, at Novice - Intermediate? With the only way to locate you being vaguely worded 'higher Perception.' Excuse my language but bollocks. To be honest, I think you misunderstood what a theme was, for my problem wasn't the fact that your using Electro with your manner of fighting. My problem lies in the fact you wanted to be to use a bunch of multi-purpose abilities and slap electricity on top. Where Minks have been seen to only produce slight bursts of electricity to simple electrocute and not sense peoples locations.

So again, let's call a spade for a spade. I even pmed your associate to come to a middle ground on finding a skillset that would work for both the sites rules and his current capabilities. Funny thing is, if he read my notes, by growing his Mastery, he would've been able to use it just as he registered it. Everyone is literally staring off as scrubs with simple skills, even at Intermediate it isn't suppose to be too flashy. The whole point is to work for your skills to be great.

Finally, I conclude this by saying everything isn't about stat bonuses, we'll have systems that you will be able to buffer. We have Doriki if you want to do more, your points are seemingly based on shallow understanding and overreaching at a beginners role. Even if you make Electro blossom into something more destructive with the right skillset, anything is literally possible but don't blame our systems because we didn't let blatant abuse occur. Invisibility is banned in most RPs or maybe I miss understood the skill and it was more of presence thing than a visual thing and that would again be my bad.

Combat RP has these parameters for interruption because  suppose some sets up a scenario for you to be struck, are you not suppose to respond to the bits you have control over? I agree there's a thin line between post interruption and powerplay but it's simple about establishing a timeline or flow of events that both players had a hand in. Lack or descriptions can indeed be peoples downfall at times but thats what PVP is about, using the little things to your advantage. In threads with people you know or talk to OCCly, you can easily control the flow of how your story goes. But in scenarios where your soley jumping in someones story, parameters must be set and attempts will occur because the only definite actions are those that are not responded to or let occurred due to selfs own infractions.

Just my two cents in this whole thing, I'm still opened to Witch Doctor skills being used but not roused in some guise to use Electro with it. It's just selfish all around to not even be opened to listen to what we as staff have to say on an issue. Let's be real. Occupational based abilities and Race Traits can be used hand in hand but not to get you a bunch of abilities packed into one. It wasn't even to say, You had sensor skills only, or cloaking skills only but explosive skills too? In One Piece, generally the characters have one or two core things they focus on and make great. This is not Naruto. Or Bleach. Or a place to be flee marketing for a bunch of skills which could be used if not monitored to sneak users.

That's my two cents. Sorry if anything I said here comes off crude or mean but it's just me trying to find middle ground in this sea of text presented.

No, no, no. I don't mean to offend the staff in any manner by saying this, and it's not in defense of Noctis or even myself, as my skill set was approved very easily. In all honesty, I wouldn't defend him, because I don't see a reason for the witch doctor, but you allowed custom occupations and it's your prerogative as to what those are able to do and what they cannot. No arguments there, especially since it's one of the best things so far as far as thematic creativity go. Kudos on that.

My issue is more involved in the use of electro, and the inability to use it in his seals or hexes or whatever he wanted to call them. It's an innate, natural, explosive catalyst housed within him as a mink and super easily accessible because of it, so it doesn't make sense to not be able to use it in the occupation, especially when it's based off of something he can already do. To me, it's more logical to say no to the skill set as a whole if he doesn't have a pen to write the seals with. Electro isn't a channeling of energy, it's just a burst of it and that's all that's been seen so far. Roddy used it without build up, without a special attack, so why are we limited in its use?

This is true as a basic discharge of it, as I was talking about, and the use of it in a specialized skill set. If you can abuse the use of your arms, why would a mink not be able to use their electro? It just doesn't make any sense to me when haki is found in everything and can be used whenever as long as they have haki stamina. There's no consistency when it comes to the use of electro, and it's one of the special cases because minks are the only race with that kind of racial ability.

@The Janitor wrote:
@Gold. Warning. I get you feel passionate about this for some reason; but be nice simply putting "JK" after a insult doesn't make it right in anyway. This is also a warning to anyone else that somehow ends up commenting in this topic in a negative manner to anyone.
I apologize. I'll own up to it.

View user profile

13 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Noctis

Vagabond
Vagabond

avatar
@Kaito wrote:If this whole long chunk of post is because I didn't allow the combination of Charms and Electro into one skillset, then let's address the issue now. I honestly loved the idea of the charms, hexes and curses being used with the whole tribal theme of the Mink's. However, let's call a spade for a spade. Having Electro and Voodoo concurrently, while having the option of another Skillset, would just be a reckless over sight on my part.
It's not, so let's get that out of the way. I'm not even the one who made this thread.

@Kaito wrote:If I'm really keeping it 100%, there are no forms of Magic or Priestess abilities in One Piece used the way outlined in Ban's Mink Skillset, however, when I read it in his app, 'I was like damn. That is a good idea.' And I let it be apprroved, despite other staff members telling me theres so much room for Power Play with Magic Based Skills.

Then, I made a mistake as a senior staffer here and let through a skillset on the weight of giving the Jr. Staffers their say on how they view skillsets. But invisibility, at Novice - Intermediate? With the only way to locate you being vaguely worded 'higher Perception.' Excuse my language but bollocks. To be honest, I think you misunderstood what a theme was, for my problem wasn't the fact that your using Electro with your manner of fighting. My problem lies in the fact you wanted to be to use a bunch of multi-purpose abilities and slap electricity on top. Where Minks have been seen to only produce slight bursts of electricity to simple electrocute and not sense peoples locations.
It's not at all vaguely worded, since you literally have levels of perceptive ability in the stat system of your roleplay from Non-Prioritized all the way to Primary. In addition, you're right that I didn't know what a theme was because I, incorrectly, made the assumption that a theme was something that made any sense. There's no reason for themes to exist other than to necessarily restrict yourself. There is no theme that exists that couldn't just be a part of the parent skillset. Also, I didn't slap electricity on anything. I only made mention to Electro in my "theme", as well as one skill. Under the impression that a theme was more like a specialized mode, I had one skill that used Electro in conjunction with the parent skillset.

@Kaito wrote:So again, let's call a spade for a spade. I even pmed your associate to come to a middle ground on finding a skillset that would work for both the sites rules and his current capabilities. Funny thing is, if he read my notes, by growing his Mastery, he would've been able to use it just as he registered it. Everyone is literally staring off as scrubs with simple skills, even at Intermediate it isn't suppose to be too flashy. The whole point is to work for your skills to be great.
I wouldn't know. Obviously that's the point. No one was or is contradicting this.

@Kaito wrote:Finally, I conclude this by saying everything isn't about stat bonuses, we'll have systems that you will be able to buffer. We have Doriki if you want to do more, your points are seemingly based on shallow understanding and overreaching at a beginners role. Even if you make Electro blossom into something more destructive with the right skillset, anything is literally possible but don't blame our systems because we didn't let blatant abuse occur. Invisibility is banned in most RPs or maybe I miss understood the skill and it was more of presence thing than a visual thing and that would again be my bad.
I will most definitely blame your systems because your systems are flawed and incomplete. Sure it's a "new site", but that seems like something you should probably flesh out before getting started. The fact there are no rules at all for buffs is evidence enough, let alone completely irrational themes and a combat system that is almost non-functional.

@Kaito wrote:Combat RP has these parameters for interruption because  suppose some sets up a scenario for you to be struck, are you not suppose to respond to the bits you have control over? I agree there's a thin line between post interruption and powerplay but it's simple about establishing a timeline or flow of events that both players had a hand in. Lack or descriptions can indeed be peoples downfall at times but thats what PVP is about, using the little things to your advantage. In threads with people you know or talk to OCCly, you can easily control the flow of how your story goes. But in scenarios where your soley jumping in someones story, parameters must be set and attempts will occur because the only definite actions are those that are not responded to or let occurred due to selfs own infractions.
You can respond, just not in a way that negates the opponent's move. You're right that in a narrative sense, communication is key, but even without that, post interruption is wholly unnecessary and detrimental.

@Kaito wrote:Just my two cents in this whole thing, I'm still opened to Witch Doctor skills being used but not roused in some guise to use Electro with it. It's just selfish all around to not even be opened to listen to what we as staff have to say on an issue. Let's be real. Occupational based abilities and Race Traits can be used hand in hand but not to get you a bunch of abilities packed into one. It wasn't even to say, You had sensor skills only, or cloaking skills only but explosive skills too? In One Piece, generally the characters have one or two core things they focus on and make great. This is not Naruto. Or Bleach. Or a place to be flee marketing for a bunch of skills which could be used if not monitored to sneak users.

That's my two cents. Sorry if anything I said here comes off crude or mean but it's just me trying to find middle ground in this sea of text presented.
I have serious doubts about your competency so it doesn't particularly matter to me what you're open to or not. It's not as if I'm just slapping electro in there to make myself as overpowered as possible as early as possible. I detailed that my skillset was based in mink culture. Minks can naturally use electro from birth. It's pretty easy to see why a skillset based in mink culture might use electro. Either way, take it as you will, I don't anticipate anyone in charge will change their mind about anything because echo chambers are incredibly strong. Especially when you seclude yourselves away in a staff only discord while closing the public one.


_________________

Guest will never see me coming...
View user profile

14 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:49 pm

Devroux

Vagabond
Vagabond

avatar
I left my Discord in the Staff Application thread. Feel free to DM me if you want a little more malleable conversation.

View user profile

15 Re: Skill Sets are problematic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:42 pm

I'm going to just lock this topic as it is going no where. You can believe that you know what we talk about on whatever platform we staff use for communication. Maybe someone on staff is telling you we don't listen to concerns, I don't know. All I know is that all the issues people have been brought to my attention aren't just being overlooked. But maybe it may seem that way. Just know you are wrong to think we are just a circle-jerk that don't change anything. If you want to blame systems because you can't do something go ahead. As others have soon the capability to RP just fine from what I've seen. As that is the whole point of the site, to RP and just build your stories. Nothing really is preventing anyone from doing that at all.

I appreciate every member on this site regardless of who they are and listen to them when they tell me something. And I do try to handle all the issues people try to bring up. I try to also show respect to everyone and I want others to do the same. I do want EVERYONE to know you won't always like something when it comes to systems or combat RP. Even with changes that happen in the future to systems or anything else that doesn't mean everyone will agree with them. Nor will everything be changed over and over again when someone doesn't like it, unless the reason actually holds weight.

Honestly speaking I have no real comment on everything else you've all said today; other than what I said above.


_________________
Keep moving forward.
View user profile

Sponsored content



View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum